Sunday, November 11, 2007

Begging your pardons, sirs...

Hi guys.  감사합니다, 제선.  Arthur (bad name for hangulization): 생활이 즐겁어요.  감사합니다!

I've been here in Gwangju just about two weeks now, wired at home for a few days.  Things are very comfortable.  I'm in Sochon-dong (송정), in the far west of the city, where there's an interesting blend of some major streets with big stores and office buildings, and lots of  little family farms (still going strong this late in the year!), produce stands, and little stores in amongst the homes.   Most people in this neighborhood don't try to speak English to me, which will be nice in the long run.  (In downtown, it's quite the opposite.)  I keep building my vocabulary, and can ask for things pretty well at the store, but I usually get back fast speech and pointing that mostly loses me.

Teaching is going pretty smoothly.  I like the kids here a lot.  I also have a private tutorial in the evenings with a kid who's applying to a big private high school in Seoul.  We're practicing conversation about political and social issues; I've had him following Pakistan for several days.

Hey, I'm gonna take off for downtown now, but I'll have time to write later.  (Not three weeks later!)

No comments: